International Permaculture Design Course (PDC)
What is Permaculture?
Permaculture is an art and science which guides us to live a more impactful life coherent with nature and society. Permaculture is a holistic design approach which includes our farming system, clean energy, spirituality, food sovereignty, and many more. The philosophy of permaculture is deeply rooted to our nature, ancient society and community knowledge and also green solutions from the current times.
This is an internationally accredited 14 to 16 day long course designed specially to learn about the steps and system of Permaculture designing. During the course, participants will learn about concepts and principles of Permaculture, natural building techniques; methods of seed soil, pest, livestock management in an integrated farm, integrated farm designing etc.
HASERA is a 32 years old Permaculture farm and the pioneer permaculture farm in Nepal. HASERA is a leading institute in Nepal in field based action research in organic farming and permaculture. With a diversity of over 600 plants, 43+ birds, 20+ butterflies, 1000+ insects in one-acre land, it is an exemplary farm to observe and see how nature works and functions with minimal human intervention when it comes to food production.
Course facilitators & Resource persons
Mr. Govinda Sharma, Executive Director of HASERA and Mr. Bibek Dhital, who has been practicing permaculture in HASERA for the past 12 years and teaching permaculture in Nepal and abroad will lead the course.
HASERA has already conducted 63+ Permaculture Courses along with 1050+ other short and long courses in the area of permaculture design.
HASERA is well known for its practice based training sessions, experienced based learning and learning by doing philosophy. Thus our courses will also be full of practices and hands on learning. Together with the facilitators, sharing from participants about their experiences regarding Permaculture will be highly encouraged. Besides, the Permaculture communities around the farm will serve as the living laboratories for various observations and practical.
As the course will be organized in the farm, there will be much chance for learning by doing and seeing things in action. Besides, the Permaculture communities around the farm will serve as the living laboratories for various observations and practical.
Major topics included in the course
The course will be conducted in a very practical and interactive way. To guide the sessions a brief outline of the content has been prepared as follows:
Concepts and Principles of Permaculture
- Impacts of modern development in global Nature, culture and agriculture
- Introduction, importance, history, ethics, characteristics and principles of Permaculture
Permaculture Designing strategies
- Natural system analysis
- Social system analysis
- Agricultural system analysis
- Farm observation and mapping
- Zone identification and sector planning
Inputs for an integrated farm designing
- Energy efficient house designing
- Identification of crops suitable various climatic zones
- Seed production, storage and variety improvements
- Bed preparation for different crops
- Planting techniques of different vegetables, herbs and fruits
- Preparation and application of different types of compost and plant nutrients
- Identification of different beneficial and harmful organisms in the field
- Organic pest management techniques
- Designing for health and happiness
- Designing for energy conservation and natural balance
- Design practice in a given farm
- Design presentation and feed backs
- Designing dream Permaculture farm of the participants
- Design sharing and feedbacks
Permaculture in action
- Areas of Permaculture
- Permaculture Diploma and acquiring systems
- National, regional and international networks of Permaculture
- Visit to permaculture projects nearby
Course fee and services
The training cost per participant is USD 450 (NPR 45,000 for Nepali particpiants). We offer discounts for participants who are redoing their PDC, early bookings or for those who really need it. The cost includes food (4 meals a day, all organic and farm grown), accommodation (Shared between two participants), training fees and training materials and all training related expenses like tuition, stationeries, training materials, exposure visits etc.
We offer an early bird discount of 10% upon pre booking until 1 month before course start date. You can pre-book your seat with advance payment of at least 10%. If you cancel you particicaption after registration, the advance payment will not be refunded, rest will be refunded. We also offer discounts for participants who are redoing their PDC. If you're really intestested in Permaculture and can't afford the course, please contact us.
What to bring
Participants are requested to bring the following items based on their interest and comfort, but it's not compulsory:
- Torch light
- Sleeping bag
- Personal toiletries
- Field and hiking outfits
- Books and music of your interest
- Musical Instruments are always welcome
After the successful completion of the course, participants will be awarded with an "INTERNATIONAL PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE" Certificate with international recognition.
See you soon at HASERA!